Friday, September 12, 2014

The Pain of Betrayal

Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.  - Psalm 41:9


I prayed Psalm 41 in Morning Prayer. In this Psalm, David speaks of being betrayed by a friend. This Psalm has it's ultimate fulfillment in our Lord Jesus Christ being betrayed by Judas. 

 I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me. - John 13:18 

Betrayal by a friend or finding out that a person you trusted and believed was your friend has betrayed you is painful. David spoke of his friend and adviser, Ahithophel  who join in Absalom's rebellion against him.  Jesus spoke of Judas Iscariot who He chose as an Apostle but betrayed Him for 30 pieces of silver.

If you have been betrayed in a friendship or in a relationship by someone you trusted, draw strength from the fact that God will not betray us. 


  • Pray to the Lord to give your strength and not to hold a grudge or hate this person. Hate and seeking revenge will only make it worse. 
  • Pray for God to help you to forgive the person.
  • Pray that God will bring the person to repentance. 

Prayer   Lord God, have mercy and help us to overcome the pain of betrayal. Give us grace to forgive the one who betrayed us and help us to not to betray our Christian profession. In Jesus name I pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment